ANGLE is a world-leading liquid biopsy company with offices in Guildford (UK), Toronto (Canada) and Philadelphia (US). ANGLE’s proven patent protected liquid biopsy platform products are used in cancer diagnostics to enable early, accurate identification of an individual’s condition for the prevention, treatment, and monitoring of disease.
With 1 in 2 UK people being diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime*, ANGLE’s liquid biopsy technologies have the potential to help clinicians select the most appropriate drugs and therapies for an individual patient. As such, our technologies support the development of Precision Medicine.
In 2021 we opened GCLP compliant clinical laboratories in Guildford (UK) and Philadelphia (USA) to provide “pharma services” for cancer drug trials and, once the labs are accredited, laboratory developed tests (LDTs) for patient management. The pharma services business offers dynamic analysis of patient condition before, during and after the patient receives the drug, assessing both CTCs and CTC clusters recovered from a simple blood test. We are also pursuing an FDA product clearance for the Parsortix system and have submitted a full De Novo submission, which is currently in substantive review with FDA.
*Source: Cancer – NHS (www.nhs.uk)
This is an exciting time at ANGLE and our research and development facilities in Guildford, UK are looking for a MEMS/Microfluidics R&D Design Engineer specialising in applying theoretical and practical knowledge of mechanical, MEMS and microfluidics design principles.
This important position will undertake work that requires applying theoretical and practical knowledge of mechanical, MEMS and microfluidics design principles for product optimization or upgrading, new product concept design and development; and for solving technical problems for internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify and work with mechanical, MEMS and microfluidics manufacturers to implement designs that are technically feasible / suitable for manufacturing processes.
- Create/develop new test methods, statistical experiments, and verification studies to support new product development, transfer to manufacturing and product launch.
- Develop innovative and feasible solutions at the component/system assembly level of design.
- To manage the development and delivery of MEMS/Microfluidics technology-based R&D activities/projects.
- Report to designated line manager but collaborate as instructed with specified project managers in activities that require product development with MEMS or Microfluidics technologies.
- Be accountable for the success of approved proposed or assigned tasks and deliverables including planning, implementation, quality testing and monitoring.
- Actively participate in team ideation sessions and in periodic design review of projects.
- Provide product design expertise in MEMS/Microfluidics including the use of modelling and simulation tools.
- Develop fluidics aspects of new instruments (prototype and alpha version)
- Design and test microfluidic systems and their interface with optical components.
- Build/source mock-ups and proof of principle models.
- Identify and work with manufacturing partners for MEMS/microfluidic parts.
- Proof of concept and validation of early results.
- Maintain cleanliness and lean working environment, with proper tooling management.
- Interact with subcontractors and suppliers.
- Carry out development activities on new company’s products, including technical investigation, optimization, updating and maintenance in the V&V laboratory.
- Develop and maintain technical documentations.
- Advise colleagues on MEMS/Microfluidics related issues.
- Specification of inspection/control equipment to use in implementation and tests of new products.
- To execute and help to manage new product development activities in compliance with company’s NPD system.
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge and Attributes:
- PhD qualified in Engineering (Biomedical, Biochemical, Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics), Physics, or Chemistry, with design and application of MEMS/Microfluidics technologies.
- Hands-on experience with mechanical, fluidic, pneumatic, electrical, or electronic components, preferably in MEMS or Microfluidic systems.
- Strong knowledge within experience in Microfluidic design and numerical modelling and simulation.
- Experience in product development and manufacturing.
- Experience in prototype fabrication and acquisition of microfluidic devices.
- Computer skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Windows, Word, Excel, Outlook), SolidWorks (capable of development of detailed CAD models and drawings), and a CFD simulation tool (ANSYS preferred), and conversant with MS Project or an equivalent software for Project Management.
- It is highly desirable to have or be familiar with:
➢ Biotechnology experience (Medical Devices, Life Sciences, Pharmaceutics) with training in laboratory environment.
➢ ISO, FDA and GMP standards/guidelines.
➢ Some knowledge of PCB design, optics and simple control software
➢ Experience of fabrication of microfluidics devices with hard polymer materials and testing with biological fluids.
➢ Materials used in medical devices, and biocompatibility issues.
➢ Manufacturing processes for microfluidic devices in high volume.
- Good organization skills, ensuring deadlines and expectations are meant, with the ability to work autonomously and to self-diagnose issues.
- Good written and verbal communication, coordination, and strong interpersonal/team skills.
- Have a strong commercial focus, dynamic strategic thinking with leadership potential.
- Possess a flexible, can-do approach to the requirements of the job, including additional ad-hoc tasks.
- Be keen to develop with a company long term.
- Due to nature of role, the requirement is for Guildford based, office hours and 5 days per week.
Join our Team
At ANGLE, we foster a dynamic, entrepreneurial approach to translating leading edge translational research into clinical diagnostics. We offer the potential for significant corporate growth and career development. We promote a culture of collaboration and shared excellence while encouraging an open and honest exchange of ideas.
We are always in search of potential employees who share our vision and want to make a difference today. In your submission, please note the position you are interested in, describe your background and what you can bring to our team along with attaching your resume.
As a member of our excellent and fast-growing team you will receive opportunities for development and a competitive benefits package.
Salary estimate – £37,500 to £40,000 per annum
Please let us know if you require disability-related accommodation during the recruitment process so that we can work with you to meet your needs.
Important notice to Employment Businesses/ Agencies
ANGLE does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact our ANGLE recruitment team to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of ANGLE. ANGLE shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.